December is here and although the weather is a little bit colder and the days shorter, the city of Boston is alive with endless things to do! As a guide, check out our list of 31 things to do in Boston this December!
Escape the Cold Winter Weather
1. The Improvised Holiday Spectacular: ImprovBoston gives audiences a gut-busting comedy not for the faint of heart. ImprovBoston’s elite improvisers unwrap the funny for a seasonal showcase featuring irreverent improvised games, off-the-cuff songs, and raucously spontaneous scenes. Showtimes run every Friday at 10:00 PM through December 30. $18/per person. improvboston.com
2. Mayor’s Holiday Special: a two-month celebration of Greater Boston’s performing arts, produced by ArtsBoston. The program features thousands of great deals to over 500 holiday performances, as well as more than 30 dining offers and an online calendar of free festivities. mayorsholiday.com
3. Holiday Pops: It’s the the most wonderful time of the year to delight in holiday classics played by the famous Boston Pops! The performances run from November 30th through December 31st. bso.org
4. ImprovBoston Mainstage: The cornerstone of professional comedic talent at ImprovBoston and this December full of holiday cheer. Showcasing their signature style of improvisation, Mainstage blends fast-paced games, hilarious scenes, skillful storytelling, memorable music, and 100% voluntary audience participation into a never-before-seen show. Recommended for those who enjoy PG-13 comedy. Every Thursday at 7:30 PM and every Friday and Saturday at 8:00 PM. $18. improvboston.com
5. Gingerbread House Party Brunch: Spend the afternoon at 75 on Liberty Wharf, 75 Chestnut or the Hampshire House and decorate a gingerbread house. It’s the perfect way to get ready for the holiday season! The brunch includes gingerbread house and candy decorations and lunch selections from the winter menu. Tickets cost $60 for adults and $40 for children 12 and under.
6. Holiday Open House at Taza Chocolate: Indulge your chocolate cravings at Taza Chocolate in Somerville! Sip and savor their stone ground chocolate. Enjoy discounts on cases of chocolate and gift boxes. tazachocolate.com
Children’s Grown-Ups Museum: Take a dive through your holiday storage boxes and break out your favorite ugly sweater and cozy clothes and head over to the “Boston Grown-Ups Museum” on December 14th! Enjoy a cash bar, holiday treats, and full-access to interactive exhibits. eventbrite.com
8. All Access Improv: ImprovBoston delivers a high-octane, completely off-the-cuff comedic force of nature. Boston’s best kept secret, it’s jam-packed with 100% improvised scenes, songs, and games designed to make its professional comedians sweat hard and its audiences laugh harder. All Access Improv is Boston’s all-access pass to daring, athletic, immersive comedy. Every Saturday at 6:00 PM. $16 general admission. $10 ages 18 and under. improvboston.com
9. Shakespeare Unauthorized Exhibit: Four hundred years after his death Shakespeare and his works remain a mystery people all over the world. Take a break from the frigid winter weather and explore the rarest, most extraordinary books in the world and learn about the countless men and women who have made and remade the works of a literary icon. bpl.org
10. Polar Express 4-D Experience: Daily showings at the Museum of Science run now through January 2nd, 2017. For more information or to purchase tickets visit mos.org.
11. Charity Gift Wrapping: Outside of Barnes & Noble in the Prudential Center by local non-profit organizations. All donations for this free service benefit the local organizations. prudentialcenter.com
12. Holiday Performances by musicians from Berklee College of Music: At the Prudential Center happening November 25th through December 18th. prudentialcenter.com
13. LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Boston: A festive winter wonderland geared towards holiday fun every weekend for the month of December. legolanddiscoverycenter.com
14. Family Show: The winner of the Nickelodeon award for Best Children’s Theater and the “Pixar” of Boston Comedy. The improv and music extravaganza is completely made up on the spot every week based on your suggestion and puts kids center stage. Fun for the whole family and best for children ages 4 – 12. Every Saturday at 4:00 PM. $14 general admission, $8 ages 12 and under. improvboston.com
15. Snowmazing at the Boston Children’s Museum: From 4:30 PM – 8:30 PM on Thursday, December 22nd. This 4-hour event is full of winter themed activities and performances. eventbrite.com
Bundle up and head outside
16. Harvard Square Holiday Fair: Need to find a unique gift for a special someone this holiday season? Every weekend December 10th through the 24th New England craftspeople and world travelling importers are selling gifts that cannot be found anywhere else. harvardsquareholidayfair.com
17. Mistletoe Art Fair: The fair will feature more than 20 local artists demonstrating a variety of mediums. Stop by the Cambridge Center of Adult Education December 17th and the 18th 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM. boston.com
18. Boston Winter at City Hall Plaza: December 2nd through the 31st head over to Boston City Hall Park Plaza for Boston Winter! Enjoy endless activities throughout the month of December ranging from chocolate tasting, ice skating, shopping and visits to Santa’s house! cityhallplazaboston.com
19. Blink! Free Light Show at Faneuil Hall: A free, state-of-the-art light show which illuminates the Boston skyline. The 7 minute shows run daily, Monday through Friday at 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM, 6:30 PM, 7:30 PM, 8:30 PM and 9:30 PM. faneuilhallmarketplace.com
20. Finding Aesop’s Fables in Copley Square: Join Boston By Foot on December 31 at 11:00 AM or 1:00 PM for the free, family-friendly First Night Tour! Did you ever notice clues connected to Aesop’s Fables in Copley Square? Why are they there? What do they refer to? Take a tour around Copley Square to find clues and learn about the fables and stories they represent. bostonbyfoot.org
21. Strolling Bands: Every day until December 23rd between noon – 2:00 PM or 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM you will be delighted to find three and four piece strolling bands roaming the Downtown Boston area while you shop and dine out. downtownboston.org
22. Sweet Harmony: Let Sweet Harmony take the edge off the holiday shopping madness downtown! Boston’s premiere travelling performance troupe will be performing holiday favorites every weekend through December 18th from 12:30 PM – 3:00 PM outside of Macy’s on Summer Street. downtownboston.org
23. Take a stroll to one of your favorite Boston restaurants! The Greater Boston Convention Bureau has already put together their recommendations for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. For a list of recommended restaurants visit bostonusa.com.
Bundle up and head outside
24. Community Ice Skating in Kendall Square: Recurring sessions available between December 6, 2016 through February 28, 2017. skatekendall.com
25. Boston Common Frog Pond: Grab the entire family to skate in Boston Common now until the ice melts! Open skating sessions are available Monday through Sunday and rental equipment is offered on site for a fee. bostonfrogpond.com
26. New Year’s Eve Waterfront Ice Sculpture Stroll: Visit sites across Boston’s waterfront neighborhoods this New Year’s Eve and enjoy free family activities plus fun and interactive ice sculptures! This family-friendly holiday stroll takes place from 1-4 pm on December 31, 2016. Each site features an ice sculpture, refreshments, or an activity… or all of the above! Brought to you by Boston Harbor Now in partnership with area businesses and cultural institutions.
Enter to win a Boston staycation package when you tag your ice sculpture selfie with #WOTWbos. See event details and download a Sculpture Stroll map at winteronthewaterfront.org. Enjoy $7 flat rate parking at International Place when you scan the code on your map.
27. Ice Skating at Boston Winter: City Hall Plaza has open skating hours, lessons and rental equipment available daily. cityhallplazaboston.com
28. Meet Santa in his home at the Boston Winter festival in City Hall Plaza: Hang out with Santa, chat with his helpers, play the “Naughty or Nice” interactive game, and receive studio quality photos from the experience. cityhallplazaboston.com
29. Downtown Santa: Bring the entire family and your camera to Downtown Boston and hang out with Santa Claus outside of Macy’s on Summer Street! Santa will be available Saturday or Sundays, November 26th through December 23rd from noon – 2:00 PM or 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM. downtownboston.org
30. Take a photo with Santa: At the Prudential Center November 18, 2016 through December 24, 2016. A variety of photo packages available for purchase. prudentialcenter.com
31. Visit Santa at the Cambridgeside Galleria: Receive two free 4″ x 6″ Santa photo prints and a digital download single image. cambridgesidegalleria.com